About The Commission
PUNJAB STATE FARMERS & FARM WORKERS COMMISSION (PSFC) was set up to address the issues related to sustainability of agriculture, improving farmer incomes (including off-farm incomes) and other related rural problems, and in particular of the small and marginal farmers.
Functions of the commission include:
1. To provide for rights and welfare of those dependent on agriculture. The Government will consult the Commission on matters relating to welfare of those dependent on agriculture and matters referred to by the Commission to the Government.
2. To frame an agricultural policy which contributes to increase farmers income while providing for ecological and economic sustainability and agriculture productivity.
3. To collate data, information, analyze, inquire, consult, review, monitor, survey, undertake studies and suggest measures for:
a) Improving the Status of agriculture and allied sectors, rural infrastructure, agriculture extension and education, quality and delivery of agricultural goods/inputs and services by all entities including both government and private.
b) Promoting the off-farm job creation in rural areas.
c) Market interventions, mechanization and adoption of new technologies for agricultural production, value addition, post harvest handling and processing of the produce.
d) Domestic and international markets to assess the competition, future trends, local demand, export potential, import substitution.
e) Promotion of cooperatives for delivery of goods/inputs and services with an aim to increase the efficiency and the economic sustainability of rural economy.
4. To consider demands and grievances of those dependent on agriculture and various farmers’ Associations and Unions and to meet their representatives from time to time and make suitable policy recommendations to the Government.
5. To consider any other issue which is relevant to the above or is specially referred to the Commission by the State Government.
6. To requisition and utilize the services of any organization or officer or any other person for the purpose of fulfilling its mandate under the Act.
7. Subject to the provisions of this Act, Commission may initiate a suo-moto inquiry on matters relating its mandate and for the purpose of this inquiry, the Commission will have the same powers as are vested in a Civil Court while trying a suit under the Code of Civil Procedure, 1908 (5 of 1908) in respect of the following:
a) summoning and enforcing the attendance of any person and examine him under oath;
b) requiring the discovery and inspection of documents;
c) receiving evidence on affidavit;
d) requisitioning any public record or copy thereof from any Court or office;
e) issuing summons for examining of witnesses or documents; and any other matter which may be prescribed.